Thursday, March 12, 2009

And now for something different....

Most of what I see and want to express, I do through our videos. In case you don't know me too well, yes, I joke that much in person as well. But the past two days have posed some new venues for us that have been... eye opening (not the right phrase, as you will see later) for me/us. You might remember that we spent a great week in Seattle with the Union Gospel Mission there. Here in downtown Dallas we were again reunited with the UGM. Last night we played for their chapel service. We've been in non-standard concert venues before (detox houses/missions/boys & girls ranches/etc) so I was expecting more of the same. And outwardly it looked like more of the same that we have done before. But it felt different. We've had some bad weather here the past few days (read, highs in the 40's, overcast, and raining) so the guys coming off the streets to the mission were not in the best shape. At one point I looked down and noticed wet footprints. One of the guys didn't even have a pair of shoes. By the time we played there was over 220 people in the room with us from all different backgrounds (I even met one from just outside of DC in VA). Something struck a chord in me during the show. Coincidentally I was also the one who was supposed to talk. I'm still not entirely sure what I said from stage. I know it wasn't anything close to what I was planning. And that my usual nervous ticks weren't present. Where am I headed with this post? I'm not entirely sure. I'm not really known for my writing abilities. Let's leave it at, God is definitely using the different places we play to show us His view of all aspects of humanity, to mold us unto His will, and transform us into something different....
Today we played at The Bridge (a shelter type place) where we saw a lot of the same people. It was astonishing... Sadly there is no documentation of either concert.... oh well...
-Ed

No comments: